Jan 26, 2011

Zombies, Liberation, and Chivalry

Chivalry is dead. That's what everyone says, right? Well, if that's true, a few of my guy friends must be zombies. However, since my brain is still intact, this can't possibly be true. Though an endangered species, I believe that the chivalrous gentleman is still far from extinct. Still, they are rare creatures indeed; about as common as a modest woman, making me think those two things go hand-in-hand.

How did this happen? I may have an idea . . .

You see, somewhere in the 1950s-1970s, American women became more "liberated". (Basically, morally unacceptable things became acceptable; like one-night-stands and wearing clothes that don't even belong on a street-corner.) Women didn't have to be classy anymore, the whole "modesty" topic became an old-fashioned and somewhat drab alternative to the flashy styles that are much more popular. Thus, the majority of women became cheap and flirtatious- it didn't take romance and time to win their hearts, just hard liquor and a few compliments. With chivalry unnecessary to win a woman's virtue, it rapidly disappeared.

Now, there are still a few scarce gentlemen left in this world; godly men of honor who are willing to pursue a lady's heart and mind and fall genuinely in love with her, not what she can do for them. And there are beautiful, modest ladies who are willing to wait for said gentlemen to sweep them off their feet with romantic gestures and heroic patience. This type of romantic love may not be "liberated", but it's slowly appealing to a lot of the Christian youth of this generation, myself included. I don't know about you, but this un-dead "zombie" chivalry sounds like a lot less heartbreak for everyone involved, including God.

After all, would you like to see your children sold off so easily and recycled like old paper bags? I wonder sometimes what he feels about it.

3 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! I'm still looking for my needle in a haystack :) He's out there for me and i'm still waiting for God to bring us together. Even if i am only fifteen...

    I'm one of the only girls i know who are waiting and praying for my prince charming! i will pray for you too!
    Stefanie

    http://creativeteen5995.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting our blog Stefanie!
    Referencing to your quote about waiting for the right guy, you may be one of the few you know who care about preserving their heart, but you are certainly not the the only one!! The three of us are with you on this one!
    Sisters in Christ,
    Essa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stefanie,
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE. :)
    Fifteen is definately not too young to be setting up standards for yourself and asking God to send the perfect man for you in your direction. (But I'm not really one to talk- I'm only fourteen, myself.)
    The thing is, Your prince charming is waiting for you, too, and I'm praying for you, that you'll find him to be God's best for you. He will be a very lucky fellow, to belong with a woman of faith and virtue like yourself. Have fun with God's love story for you!
    Love from your Sister in Christ,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete