Sep 13, 2010

The Testimony Of The Perfect Catch



A pastor's sermon ends with an "Amen" and the congregation disperses to visit amongst themselves. Amidst the hustle and bustle, a little girl wanders away from her big and busy family to explore the church on her own. Her little green dress swishes up against the staircase as she holds onto the handrail with the loose grip of a toddler, seeing the upstairs as a wonderland of possibilities. The grown-ups don't see her; she's far too small to notice and old enough not to draw the attention of the cheek-pinching old ladies and yelling big kids. The steps are an obstacle, but she continues on.

At the top of the stairs, she sees no one but the reflection of herself in her shiny black Sunday shoes and starts to feel very, very lonely. The mere idea of seeing her Mommy downstairs is a glorious thought, but by now it's so very far away. Brown curls bounce atop her little head as she walks to the floors edge and climbs to the top of the balcony's railing, knowing she could see Mama if she only looked down hard enough.


Squinting, she leans forward over the railing's edge, and she slips. She falls.

Christianity is kind of like that, if you think about it. We wander away from what we know is wise and climb towards the things we think are the best. We like to explore, but without someone there to hold us up as we look around for a solution, we fall. However, God doesn't give up on us after we fall once. He'll always catch you, if you'll let him.

Did somebody come up behind to catch that little girl when she slipped? Yes. She grew up and became strong in the word of God, thirsting for wisdom and for the Real World that only Jesus Christ could lead her to. She became an intellectual. She became me. If someone hadn't come up behind her, I'd be dead.

That night, when I was in my little room with my nightlight on, I figured out the true meaning of being "Saved". Jesus took my sins away so that I wouldn't fall like gravity said I was supposed to. He caught me, because he cared. At the ripe old age of two, I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. It was July 5th, 1998. I never looked back. But how about you?

Would you rather fall, or be caught?

No comments:

Post a Comment