Sep 11, 2010

"The Call of Jeremiah" (According to Essa)

Read Jeremiah 1: 4-9, 17-19


Whenever I read a bible verse about courage, I get excited. It's taken a lot of courage to overcome my fears this year, but it's still an issue for me. When I found this passage a few weeks ago, school was about to start. Beginning a new year is difficult, and I was unsure of many things. I'm not the confrontational type, but certain things bother me immensely, so Jeremiah 1 is extremely helpful in this aspect.
Let's take a closer look...

V. 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." God made you to be
different on purpose! He's calling you to accomplish great things for him!

V. 6 "Ah, Sovereign Lord," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."
I don't know about you, but in certain situations (like someone sitting alone at lunch, etc) I get this instinctive push. You know what I'm talking about. I get it very frequently but I don't always act on it. When we get these, friends, that's God! But we make excuses because we're uncomfortable with the situation (eg: Someone else will do it, He's a boy: cooties!)

V.7-9 But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth." God counters our silly excuses- they're no good! God wants us to do whatever he commands, as in responding to every push he gives. God promises to be with us and give us the words. It's not about us coming up with some eloquent speech, so put your words in God's hands.

V. 17 "Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them. V. 18 Today I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall to stand against the whole land--against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests and the people of the land. V. 19 They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. We need to be ready for it, not make excuses to do it later. Whether this means memorizing some bible verses or practicing for your basketball game, be prepared.

Read verse 19 again & think about this: It's not just Jeremiah's call: it's your call, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment